<% total_resultados %> results for <% palabra_buscada %> in <% tags_selected.map(e=>e.name).join() %>
Its first name was Atotonilco or Real de Atotonilco, which means "Place of thermal waters". When mines were discovered in the neighboring Atotonilco el Grande, this small town was also founded, which, to differentiate it, was named: Atotonilco el Chico.
Mineral del Chico was the commercial step towards Pachuca for many years. It is characterized by winding and cobbled streets and large houses with wide corridors, of which a clear example is the one that now houses the Municipal Presidency.
The first mine opened in 1560 and from here silver was extracted for more than 400 years. First the Spaniards, then the English and the last, the French.
The Parish of Mineral del Chico is named after the Purísima Concepción. Its construction is neoclassical with quarry facade and Tuscan columns. It was built in 1569.
At the center of the square there is a small market of snacks. Give yourself the pleasure of tasting the pambazos, sopes, quesadillas and, if you want to try something different, ask for the escamoles, name given to the ant eggs, edible and of very special flavor.
Stay at a cheap and clean inn. Leave your bags and go out to smell the earth and the wet adobe walls. Feel the rain on your head and the freshness of the air, delight with the freshly baked bread in one of its ovens, walk its streets illuminated by white streetlights, watch the smoke come from chimneys that rise between red tile roofs ... in the relief of knowing that Mineral de Chico will always be in the fog.
What to Visit?
- Peña del Cuervo A majestic viewpoint where, it is said, you can refill you energy while listening a mysterious echo that comes from El Chico Downtown.
- San Antonio Mine It started its operations in 1560, and there you will be leaded by tourist guides to know the stories and legends about the miners that worked and died here.
- Church of the Immaculate Conception Originally built in 1725, this temple was restored in 1819.
- El Chico National Park An ideal place for extreme sports, and also for camping and nature watching.
What to do?
- El Chico National Park Here you can practice extreme sports and ecotourism.
- Festivity of the Immaculate Conception This is the main religious festivity of this Magic Town, and I takes place on December 8th each year to celebrate the local patroness.
- Easter Week As in the rest of the Catholic world, it takes place in March or April. In Resurrection Sunday, you can admire a beautiful flower rain falling from the Church of the Immaculate Conception.
- Enchiladas Tortillas fried in oil and hot sauce, which is served with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, and cheese.
- Hualumbos Cactus flower deliciously cooked.
- Tortitas de flor de madroño. Another kind of flower that tastes great!
- Pastes A kind of pasty filled with meat and many other stews.
- Fish from the nearby fish farms coked in different presentations.
What to Know?
- Its original name was "Real de Atotonilco el Chico (the Small One)" just to differentiate it from the nearby locality of "Atotonilco el Grande (the Big one)."
- It became a municipality on January 16th, 1869, just a day after the Congress created the Free and Sovereign State of Hidalgo.
- Renwoned Individuals
- Gabriel Mancera (1839 – 1925) Politician and philanthropic.
- Carved wood
Take a look at the landscapes you can enjoy in Mineral del ChicoGallery
Find out more about Mineral del Chico with our audio guideAudiospot
More about Hidalgo
More Magical Towns
We want you with us
Subribe to our newsletter and discovery Mexico with us